Re: Re: RQ v. HW v. HQ1 v HQ2

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 17:20:04 +0000 (GMT)

Trotsky he say:

"...the Pass/Fail Cycle is one of the things that I like least about HQ2."

I find this fairly interesting 'cause virtually every GM I've talked to/corresponded with/played with in the last 25 years has used a pass fail cycle in their games*. Don't believe me? You're using a pass fail cycle everytime you modify a future encounter based on the results of the current one. This encounter a walkover? Beef up the next one. This one was a bit tough, battered the adventurers to the point where it looks like one sneeze will be fatal? Trim the next one a bit.

All HQ2 does is formalise is - if you don't want to make the value judgement yourself you don't have to - just look it up on the table.

Cheers,

Ash

*The only ones that didn't were callow youths back in our mid teens