Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 06:28:15 -0000

> To understand the other point of view (i.e. that some people like
> stats), consider the suggested "adventure" in Dorastor, which was to
> pit two monsters against each other to see who won.

Nobody (I think) is saying that there is something wrong with liking NPC or creature stats if the rules system requires them or - heck - even supports them. But where the proposed stats are not only unnecessary under the rules but would actually be at cross-purpose with the rules mechanics, then stats are inappropriate.

> Now, one wouldn't do that with Hero Wars/Quest/Quest2, but someone,
> somewhere presumably though it would be a fun thing to do.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that was Sandy's suggestion. I ran that way back when and bored my players to tears with a very long RQ3 combat involving the Howler and the Thing (I think). :)

Jeff