Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:57:42 -0000

ok. numpty me. I replied to this on WoG. Please forgive me everyone - I hadn't noticed that I wasn't subscribed to this group (I get yahoo groups posts via email).

(Hey Chris)

>From what I know these comparisons are completely off the scope to the
designers (setting and system). I'm not really sure what use they could be put to, outside of pub-style-discussions or the occasional in-game debate about who's heroquester would win in a celebrity death match (perhaps you can, in keeping with WoG topic scope, tell me how you think it's important to compare).

I wonder, if there is enough interest, whether there could be a tribe-centric open forum about Gloranthan abilities/target numbers for characters in printed sources. I am still really against there being an official one but there could be a lot of enjoyment in opening up an online forum where we could, as a tribe, settle on ratings for all our favourite characters. We could even post our own characters, as a fun comparison.

As a final comment: we can't say "Your Glorantha Will Vary", bring out a new game system that advocates the Pass-Fail Cycle/Hero-Relative Resistances and then go and publish cold hard figures pertaining to the setting's characters. It would be a mixed message that would lead to confusion, IMO.