Re: Re: [WorldofGlorantha] How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Graham Spearing <graham_at_...>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 21:34:24 +0000

Jeff Richard wrote:
> You can even warn players by saying things like "Everyone agrees it
> would be nearly impossible to defeat Lancelot in a fight."

A sudden thought. You know one of those that just appears out of nowhere and you have to write it down? I'm going to press 'send' quickly in a moment as it could be a daft thought and I don't want to stop me making a fool of myself.

Was there a moment in the HQ2 design when someone sat up and said:

"hang on, why don't we go the whole hog and remove the stats from the player characters too?"

Players could still include a list of evocative abilities, perhaps granting "right to influence story" in contests. The only game element intruding into play would be a die roll against a difficulty based on need of story alone. Difficulty to beat (or whatever you pick as the mechanism) would be based largely on the need of the narrative and perhaps moderated by the appropriateness of the player character's ability.

I may be getting a bit carried away with the paradigm! :)

Best

--

Graham

Wordplay: http://www.wordplaygames.co.uk/