Re: Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Nick Eden <nick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 16:54:08 +0000

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 3:56 AM, David Dunham <david_at_...> wrote:

> >Lancelot just becomes 'Knight. Known for particularly shiny armour.'
>
> Really? Not "Best knight in all of Britain?"
>
> At the risk of beating a dead horse, the problem is when you write
> "Best knight in all of Britain 10W3" and then a player manages to end
> up at 10W4.

Well you wouldn't normally include comparitives in abilities. There was certainly a footnote in HQ1 explaining why not, and I think there was one in the HQ2 draft as well, not that I have either near me.

But... If the player knight has genuinely become a better swordsman than Lancelot then that should be a major focus of the campaign and so I'd have no problem with this happening. If it had only come about because of oversight and augmentation frenzy then that would be a bit pathetic, I've no problem with HQ2 killing that game off.

Years ago my character fought Sir Gawaine to a standstill. Which was largely due to lucky inspiration rolls, but ultimately because the system made that possible. Neither an ability of 'Better than all knights except Lancelot 10W4' or a footnote 'Gawaine is the second greatest knight in Camelot and will beat anyone save Lancelot' would have enhanced that session.