Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 13:05:15 -0000

How so?

Mere words can make this sound impossible. The numbers can show there is a chance, (and Discworld narrative logic ensures that one in a million chances pay off 9 times out of 10).

The problem with much of this discussion is that you appear to be deciding that in order to set the resistance of the Nazgul King, or Lancelot, you first need to decide whether you want them to be beaten or not. (1) If you are already deciding this, why are we bothering to roll dice? (2) What if the point of the contest is to find out whether or not they can be beaten? Either outcome can lead to an interesting continuation of the story, so why do we need to *fiddle* the numbers to obtain a particular result.