Re: Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 16:09:00 -0500

Tim,

I used to argue for benchmarks for HQ1 because the numbers were all over the place. The numbers for Barbarian Adventures were different from Anaxials Roster, etc. I think there was an attempt with the HeroBook to offer a benchmark scale (different from earlier ones) that might have been adopted as "official". So I get where you are coming from. But in some ways, all that is saying is "I want a description of how these characters are relative to the benchmark" - which is relative resistance, isn't it? From what I can tell, HQ says "the benchmark is your PCs". I do recall a game system involving virtual worlds you adventured in that had a sort of sliding numerical scale directly incorporated, so all stats had to be shifted numerically.

Now, it could be that some standard language for "this person should be hard - this one should be easy" would be needed. I'm not sure that's true, but I could see it. Would you be happy with some kind of relative numbers? (Lancelot - Best Knight in Realms +2W)

I think this is one of those philosophical things that just isn't going to get settled, of course, especially because I think what HQ2 is saying is that whether a contest is hard or not probably depends on the moment as well, so even that sort of relative notation would be unhelpful.

LC