Re: How do you compare published abilities without numbers?

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2009 19:05:18 -0800

Nick

> > At the risk of beating a dead horse, the problem is when you write
>> "Best knight in all of Britain 10W3" and then a player manages to end
>> up at 10W4.
>>
>Well you wouldn't normally include comparitives in abilities.

Definitely not for players. I would when describing Lancelot.

>But... If the player knight has genuinely become a better swordsman than
>Lancelot then that should be a major focus of the campaign and so I'd have
>no problem with this happening. If it had only come about because of
>oversight and augmentation frenzy then that would be a bit pathetic, I've no
>problem with HQ2 killing that game off.

I'm in total agreement. It had *not* been a campaign focus as near as I could see, so it was a bit of a shock when I noticed it.

>Years ago my character fought Sir Gawaine to a standstill. Which was largely
>due to lucky inspiration rolls, but ultimately because the system made that
>possible.

I see no reason why this sort of drama wouldn't happen in an HQ2 campaign.

Tim

>1) What if, (My Camelot Will Vary) I want my players to be able to
>surpass Lancelot?

Sounds good. I contend HQ2 gives you more tools to control the dramatic timing of this well-deserved event.

>3) If you make Lancelot "Best Knight in Britain 10W3 (based on a
>benchmark of 15W)" then I can easily see that now my players are 10W4,
>Lancelot needs to be "Best Knight in Britain 5W5" to keep pace. This
>seems to be what you are doing anyway, so I don't really see what the
>prproblem with providing the information is...

Presumably the goal of your game is not to simulate Lancelot's win/loss record, but to be as entertaining as you can make it. The focus is thus not on Lancelot or any other NPC, but on the players.

For example, in the HBO series Rome, the PCs are Lucius Vorenus and Titus Pullo, so you care about their abilities. Whether Caesar could beat Antony in a duel doesn't matter. (Whether Titus wins his bet on the duel matters to Titus of course, but the real issue is who he pissed off by betting against...)

LC

>Of course, I don't even know if HQ2 uses masteries or the same scale
>or anything

HQ2 still depends upon masteries. I suspect total target numbers in most games will be smaller (since you no longer get +W or more from augment quest).

--

David Dunham