Re: Re: Gloranthan Magic in the new rules

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2009 14:16:51 -0500

I am very curious to see how this is going to be re-stitched.

It would seem common magic would be very easily subsumed into the rules, but then I personally see no mechanistic need to separate out the other magic systems either. Explain what they do and how you are supposed to get them, and work that way.

I long ago decided the only way to make sense of common magic was to redefine it as "Magic you get without having to go to an otherworld". Thus it still works as "magic from otherworld beings in the mundane world", it still works as "things you can teach yourself" and it allows things like non-initiates of a god/dess to get magic from them as well. Just not the best magic. (i.e. As a member of Storm Tribe, you can probably get a feat/ability/something from any other member of Storm Tribe. Sort of how the old "affiliated cults/spells" thing seemed to work in the old RQ days.)

Thus a common magic religion becomes one where you still need to learn the rites and all that, but you never have to go to an otherworld for the magic. It would, I expect, have certain limitations due to this.

But that's not really a rules issue. Hopefully the new system will go from ground up, with the sense of mixed worship as the norm, and that you have to choose between that flexibility and more power from your god as you go, as was endlessly discussed on one of these lists years ago. I would far rather magic systems be detailed by Pantheon than by Otherworld. (Not that a basic structure of "otherworld magic follows these limits/forms - as was detailed earlier - isn't useful for consistency.")

LC