Re: Possession of Runes

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2009 11:29:37 -0000

> So if I'm born into a theist culture I'll have runes as part of my social/cultural/psychological make up. If I should then adopt the path of the shaman and start to build my world view (and magical power) around spirits, do I keep the ability to augment with my runes? Is my ability to use spirits tied to particular runes restricted by my affinities.

As long as you are not actually a shaman, you can still use your rune magic. However, once you become a shaman you cannot use any Rune affinity - even to augment other abilities. You have specialized in one sort of magic (just as a devotee does).

Keep in mind, charms and spells can augment Rune Magic and vice versa. Charms and spells allow your hero to have a broader range of magic than concentrated solely on your three rune affinities. However, the Narrator may at times treat charms and spells that are associated with runes opposed to your own rune affinities as flawed abilities (frex someone with a Harmony rune using Disorder charms, or someone with the Movement rune casting Stasis spells).

I think that when a hero wishes to use a charm or spell while acting as his god on a Heroquest, he will first have to overcome his divine rune affinity with the charm or spell. If he succeeds, he can use the charm or spell, but his Rune Magic suffers a penalty corresponding to the level of success. Naturally this does not apply to abilities gained on a heroquest.

> Conversely, if I'm born to shamanistic parents on the Plains of Prax but subsequently make the transition to settled life in a theistic culture, how do I gwet the Rune affinities I need?

You will get them when you join the theistic religion.

Jeff