RE: Re: Relative resistances and narrow/broad abilities

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:18:55 -0000

Hi Ash

I don't think your conclusion here is correct. I'm no statistician but you do seem to presuppose that players will focus their HP spending on a narrow group of specific skills. Maybe your players are the sort to try to keep ahead of the base resistance; I seem to remember that Robin has thought of that and has suggested that in this case the base resistance can increase more. Whatever the book says about it I think that such an arms race would be against the spirit of narrative gaming.

If you do get into that situation I'd suggest it's because the contests you are getting into allow the same old skills to be used again and again. If you vary attention between a wide variety of abilities then the desire to increase just a few will become more obvious and also be less attractive.

Cheers