RE: Re: Relative resistances and narrow/broad abilities

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 2009 23:46:24 -0000

It is a matter of debate as to whether abilities should be increased using game currency. Personally I think it's a fun aspect of traditional role playing but until I try a series with no increases I won't really know.

I will say this: I've not experienced many other forms of story telling that show heroes' abilities increasing through anything except what we call (in these new fangled narrative-style games) narration.

Ttrotsky:

> Whatever the book says about it I think that such an arms race would
> be against the spirit of narrative gaming.

Possibly true. Although by that argument, you might not need "experience points" at all (a suggestion that the book does actually make).