Re: The merits of relative and absoluteresistances (HQ1 and HQ2)

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:14:52 -0000

Actually, we are looking to play a role-playing game that uses numbers (and dice) to resolve conflict. So let's describe those conflicts in terms of numbers ab initio, so that it is not incumbent on every person running the game to translate the narrative into "game-speak" at every juncture. If you don't like the numbers given, you are always at liberty to make up your own, so having numbers does nothing to impact people who don't want to use them, but not having them does impact people who do find them useful.

Narratives, Keywords, 100-word descriptions and all the other bits of Heroquest are great. I'd much rather play Heroquest than Runequest, but if the "Experienced" Orlanthi Weaponthane is supposed to be a better swordsman than the "Vetran" Lunar Guardsman I'd rather that be reflected by the numbers assigned to their skills than by trying to compare different adjectives...