Re: Scenarios

From: Jeff Richard <richaje_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 13:50:57 -0000

> Well, which is it? Straight out of the box, or no stats, because they appear to be diametrically opposed. If you need to assign numerical reatings to every ability before you can use it it isn't "Straight out of the box", it's "Some assembly required".

Not really. The scenario arc provides guidance on assigning resistance levels. All you need is the Sartar Book and the new HeroQuest rules. We recommend the Dragon Pass Gazeteer (although there is an extremely abridged gazeteer with quite a bit of new information), but it is not necessary.

> It seems to me that there is a whole spectrum of approaches from the
> "Everything is relative, so printed numbers are *ALWAYS* worthless" through to the "Published Statistics are sacrosant, and must *ALWAYS* vbe adhered too". From where I'm standing, both are as extreme as each other, but for some reason HQ2 has apparently decided to support the first, and I really am at a loss to understand why.

The short answer is the way resistance is assigned under the rules system. Numbers removed from the context of the heroes themselves simply don't jibe with the system and ends up completely breaking down when presented in a longer campaign.

Jeff