Re: scales, benchmarks, numbers, theories and adaptability

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 11:17:38 -0400

Eetu Mäkelä wrote:

Hi L C,

>I'm mostly in complete agreement, so this reply seems almost not
>worthwhile.

Bah, I find being told I am not speaking nonsense *immensely* worthwhile. It's so rare these days. :)

>I know and have dealt with these problems, but think that the scale
>exists despite of them.

Well, yes and no. I do think the scale exists, but I don't think the scale really exists cross-game. Any system with the kind of flexibility of HQ isn't going to stay to a fixed scale very well without a focused effort to make the scale important and fixed. Just my opinion, but I've seen it in too many games. And once you fix a scale, it tends to become less flexible, I think.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Big_Model#References> has the
>most important and concise ones.

Yeah, I figured I could look it up. It was late, though. (I'll avoid turning this into a theory discussion.)

>Indeed, now I realize I was reacting to a side issue. The reason I
>originally tackled adventure baselines was to try to tease out an
>acknowledgement that scale still exists and matters. As long as we're
>on the same page about that I certainly agree that an adventure text
>itself will let a GM judge its applicability. A mastery range given at
>the start would merely give the GM a hint about suitability before
>delving in.

Except that I don't think there's a fixed mastery range that tracks to something like "levels" in DnD. I may be wrong, but HQ2, from what I've learned, may well have people with god-fighting powers at the same numbers that another GM would run a "getting the cows in" game.

>As for Jeff's info about the Sartar book, it seems that what I've been
>discussing here doesn't affect that so much. A self-contained epic arc
>needs only be consistent with itself in scale and progression.

Agreed. That also strikes me as easier to do in HQ2 than HQ1.

>I've
>been focusing on how easy it is to glue together adventures of your
>own from more general background books and stuff taken out of context
>from scenario books - how easy it is to adapt material into new
>consistent wholes, in other words.

*nod*
I see where you are coming from. I don't think it is a huge problem, though, since if you are stitching together, doing it without having to translate numbers strikes me as easier, not harder. As far as self-contained adventures you plug in - the old idea of the "module" from the glorious past - I don't think those exist in Glorantha (or at least, in HQ Glorantha). I've never seen one even proposed for the world.

LC