RE: Re: The merits of relative and absoluteresistances (HQ1 and HQ2)

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 10:30:19 -0000

 Laurent:
At the same time, kids REALLY like RULES. Lots and lots of complicated rules that require memorization and have specific effects. Do you think CCG are huge because they have story?
Part of D&D's appeal is that it is full of fiddly bits and math.

are you forgetting that there are girl-kids out there who hate that sort of thing? I think this is an area of interest for the more geeky. It's up to us to teach the next generation that there is more to life than munchkinism.

>HQ2 goes to lengths to give the best advice in these areas; I believe its
>good advice to read through the whole thing before playing - if only to
>learn how to run RPGs. Never assume you already know or that you can
>immediately see the value (or lack thereof) in the advice printed.

Advice is nice. The question is whether the system works to make all this do-able and fun.
I want a system that supports a focus on these narrative elements, but still provides enough structure that it isn't just sitting around the table making things up.

This is exactly what it aims to do. It's not like Spirit of the Century or Dogs in the Winyard which channel your actions in a more heavy handed way; it's more of the sort that teaches you how to do it and lets you be your own master. If you go off-piste you will find the monsters that lurk there.

>One of the reasons I've been impassioned in my writing on this list is
that
>I'm a fairly new convert to narrativism and I feel the need to 'set the
>world free'.

Yeah. That's obvious. :) Also, a little annoying. (Please take that with a smile, all zealots trying to "set me free" are kind of annoying.)

I do my best to be as annoying as possible. Ask my wife! Seriously though, it takes a bit of courage to stand up under such close examination and sometimes, in order to stand ones ground, one has to try to curry support by recruiting converts.

<http://geo.yahoo.com/serv?s=97359714/grpId=1590039/grpspId=1705057147/msgId =24756/stime=1236745699/nc1=1/nc2=2/nc3=3>