Re: Scenarios

From: Tim Ellis <tim_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 11:30:20 -0000

That doesn't answer the question. If you have already decided *NOT* to use any provided numbers then how does what other people choose to do with them affect you? How does the existance of numbers prevent you from narrating the outcome just as if they weren't there?

> If you translate into numbers and then back again you are doing a
> lot of unnecessary work. Start with words, stay with them.

The gamews system relies on numbers. My d20 does not have "Easy", "moderate", "Hard" etc on it, so in order to resolve any contest I need to use numbers. Words are not an option. Words will inform the numbers, and the result of the contest will be narrated with words, but when the dice hit the table there have to be numbers unless you are just making everything up as you go along.

If the source material/scenario does not include any numbers because it believes that words alone are sufficient then there is no option but to translate these words into numbers in order to adjudicate the outcome. This, to my mind is only "a lot of unnecessary work" because previously such numbers are largely provided "up front". They can (of course) be modified during actual play, but then you are only concerned with the exception not the general rule.