RE: Re: Scenarios

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 15:27:28 -0000

exactly. can't see any pretention there.

However I am recommending that (at the very least) the pass/fail cycle be used as a log. The problem with an 'optional' part of a system is that if people can't see it's value immediately then they are likely to ignore it and feel justified (and well they might, since they are given permission).

I think it's far more healthy to attempt to use the game system as presented, in its entirety. That is what was playtested, honed and crafted into a whole. After the attempt has been made and any misunderstandings ironed out, then consider making changes and sharing the reasons with the community too.

Robin has been gracious enough to admit that some people may have the necessary talent to be able to run games without this kind of artificial finger-on-pulse (speaking of pass/fail cycle). I'm less gracious - I think that these people are in the minority but then perhaps I'm projecting.

For those of us who need to learn how to do pacing, story logic, ebb and flow etc etc there is printed for us a way to do great games. The book goes into great detail on how to run a narrative game; I suspect that many of us will find it reveals big holes in our own methods. It certainly has in mine.