An actual example - L vs V

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 11 Mar 2009 22:15:58 -0400

  Matthew,

Since my issue is the mechanics, not the scale, perhaps an example would be helpful.

Since HQ2 isn't a Gloranthan system, I'm going to cull my example from elsewhere.

The Empire Strikes Back. Namely, Luke v Vader in the Cloud City.

I'm assuming you know it, if not, we'll pick another example. We are using Luke as the PC. (Yes, in light of the prequels, the whole story is *really* about Vader, but I don't want to go into that.) A lone PC, of course, since even if you can argue any other characters are PCs in a Narrativist game (Maybe Han. Maybe.) they aren't in the scene.

We have a sword fight, an attempt to turn to the darkside, some dramatic escapes...

Now, in a D&D-style game, this is actually fairly simple. Stat out Vader, (presumably done in the sourcebook), stage the fight, have the dialogue reference the emotional content - unsupported by mechanics. Perhaps if it is something like RQ, which I think has a Taint stat that can be used, and I am sure there is some kind of Dark Side stat in the new Star Wars game out on the market, so those could have a mechanical component to the spiritual duel. (It being important to what we've seen about the light and dark side that Luke strikes first, Luke activates his light saber first, Luke gets angry, etc.)

So, Matthew. (Or someone else.) How do you run that conflict in HQ2 so that it has the drama and significance of the movie scene, both in terms of mechanics and in terms of engaging the characters. Feel free to show how the fact you don't stat Vader up outside of his narration helps. What are the mechanical consequences of the events, what gets rolls and what doesn't?

In HQ1, this kind of thing always tripped me up because was the fight a separate contest than the dark side conversion? Were there two separate contests in succession? (One ending at the Carbonite trap, the other ending in the escape of the Falcon? or maybe with Luke plunging down the shaft?) Was it a case of Luke attacking with lightsaber while Vader attacked with "Convert to Darkside?". Mechanically, what causes what in terms of loss and gain. Figuring out what was an AP bid, what was an unrelated action, and when goals changed or a new contest started always tripped me up.

Care to explain how HQ2 handles this?

Thanks.
LC