Re: Not abusing the suspension of disbelief (re: HQ2)

From: Bryan <bethexton_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 15:33:23 -0000

Another day, another layer of the onion peeled on the 'what is bothering me' issue. It is probably more a matter of creative control of the author versus the narrator. The feeling of ownership that would be outraged if someone took my scenario of doom-laden demi-gods, and played it in such a way that the Nochet apprentices dealt with the situation. Likewise if I'm playing in someone else's sandbox, my nature is such that I want to do it 'right,' the way they intended.

But really:

  1. Once you release your ideas into the world, they aren't yours anymore, so I need to give up such concepts, and
  2. In kids literature the kids deal with the doom-laden demi-gods type scenario happens all the time, so why shouldn't people play it that way?
  3. Obviously I need to embrace my freedom to do things 'my way' without worrying so much about the 'right way.'

Point three will probably be hardest for me, why I'll probably continue to be uncomfortable for some time if scenarios have no indication of the type/power of characters for which they are most appropriate. But I'll work on getting over myself.

--Bryan