Re: An actual example - L vs V

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:52:24 +0000 (GMT)

Hi again,

Just a quick comment before I go to bed:

Luke's stakes were never "rescue his friends" or "defeat Vader" in that contest. His stakes were always "get out of this in one (spiritual) piece." He could have died but still have won by not turning to the dark side *.

[I may be misremembering this from the film as it's been 25 years since I've seen it - as you'd already pointed out my memory of the order of events isn't very good so I might have misjudged the tone of the final punch up and "these may not be the stakes you are looking for".]

Actually I lied - here's another one. HQ2 provides two tables to work out what happened in a conflict. You use the rising action one for most of a session and the climactic one (I may have the name wrong, it's how I've labelled 'em on my photocopied game reference) for the grand finale, where a contest wraps up an situation or story arc for one or more characters.

The rising action table doesn't tend to dish out lasting effects for protagonists who win contests but the climactic one can. My one adventurer death with HQ2 was actually a victorious Humakti Weaponthane collapsing onto a pile of defeated enemies at the end of the conflict. That'll teach the player to keep wanting to play Humakti...

Cheers,

Ash

*By Dark Side I of course mean playing any game with statted NPCS in.