Re: Re: Magic Items in HQ2

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 02:04:16 -0400

David Dunham wrote:

>>So if you put a magic staff in an adventure in HQ2, you would have it do
>>whatever the PC spent points for it to do and nothing else?
>
>Most HeroQuest (any edition) magic items work like this. Consider the
>points spent as "attuning" or "learning" as you see fit. The basic
>idea is that fantasy heroes aren't usually defined by their equipment.

Yes, yes, I remember the theory. And, as I said, many people ignored it, or did I imagine the earlier debates on this?

And, since I have never seen a magic item ever in a Glorantha supplement, perhaps this is how HQ Glorantha works.

>Ah, you say, but Elric is. If the magic staff is really of the same
>caliber as Stormbringer, then make it an ally (like Stormbringer)

Which is, I believe, what I said. Or, you know, Excalibur.

So, it's an ally. No stats?

>If you think about it, the One Ring is the first option. The
>Ringbearer gradually learns more of how it works, but never figures
>out how to use it to forge new rings of power, etc.

Which is, of course, one option.
Then there's the, you know, I found this magic item which is important for what's going on. I'm never going to cement it with a hero point.