RE: Re: Scenarios

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 10:34:31 -0000

ttrotsky
There was an example I was supposed to complete? Aww, man, I obviously seriously misunderstood your post! I'll go back to have another look at it now.

ttrotsky
Speaking for myself, it's not that I haven't tried the HQ2 way of doing things. It's just that I didn't enjoy it. I don't think that's "opting out from the beginning" in the way that you mean it.

ttrotsky
> can you objectively surmise as to why it was removed? I'd imagine it was felt to compromise the integrity of the product in some way. Which I can sort of understand, given HQ2's stated aims as a game (which are quite clearly stated in the intro).

ttrotsky
One man's "trad baggage" is another man's "personal experience", I'd wager :)
- all I can say is that some of the methods and habits I picked up running
games from RQ through HW to HQ have really stood in my way when I try to adopt the new ideas. I had probably projected those experiences onto you, in reaction to what I read on this thread.

ttrotsky
I usually just write down the numbers (attached the Spoon-Playing ability, or whatever it might be), but the idea seems much the same.
- so you think that getting target numbers for resistance from base
resistance and adjusting difficulty according to story logic/flow is harder than that?

ttrotsky
> - this is a matter of opinion. To paraphrase Robin - "HQ2 is narrative, go play MRQ if you want gritty"

There's two problems with that statement, though. Firstly, "gritty" is not the only alternative to the style of HQ2 - I certainly wouldn't call my games gritty. Secondly, it doesn't work too well for those of us who don't like MRQ, either. (Maybe because it's too gritty, who knows?)

ttrotsky