RE: An actual example - L vs V

From: Matthew Cole <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 14:53:19 -0000

Ashley succeeds where I failed. Listen to him.

From: HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com [mailto:HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Ashley Munday Sent: 12 March 2009 22:11
To: HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: An actual example - L vs V

Hi,

I can't really speak for anyone else here but the first question to ask is:

Pretty damn important for Luke's player, it's the culmination of his story arc in the second session so I'd make it an extended contest using the climactic scene outcomes table. The stakes of the contest are whether Vader can neutralise Luke or turn him to the dark side.

Luke would be using his main keyword ability "Jedi Apprentice" augmented with his "Father's Lightsabre." If I were using the pass/fail cycle I'd say that from the previous two contests were arguing with Yoda on Dagobar (minor success) and trying to stop Fett leaving the space station (marginal fail) so I'd make it moderate resistance. If I was thinking more about the drama of the scene and not using the pass/fail cycle I'd probably want Luke's player to have a nailbiting time and burn a few hero points so I'd make it a hard resistance.

>From there it's pick up the dice, start rolling and telling each other
what's happening. First exchange Luke scores a success vs success but gets the lower roll - the narration would be along the lines of Vader driving Luke back into the Carbonite pit and Luke jumping out. Luke 1, Vader 0.

Second exchange Vader wins with a success vs a fail - they exchange a few more blows ending with Vader blowing Luke through a window and onto the gantry, bruised and prone on his back. Luke 1, Vader 2.

Third exchange Vader wins again with a success vs fail. Vader does the whole "Luke, I am your father" bit, Luke looses it and flails widely, having his paw chopped off in the process. Luke 1, Vader 4

Fourth exchange Luke wins, critical success vs fail. The narration is along the lines of Luke jumping into space and ending up clinging onto the instrument under the space station while Vader sweeps off to his star destroyer. Luke 4, Vader 4.

Final exchange, Luke wins (just) by spending a hero point. Narration is that he telepathically contacts Leia (who's been having her own climactic extended contest elsewhere to reach the Falcon) and the Millenium Falcon picks him up as the thing he's clinging to breaks up. Cue jump to hyperspace, getting a hand like dads and roll end credits.

Cheers,

Ash