RE: BTW we are not comparing adjectives

From: Silburn, Luke <luke.silburn_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2009 12:36:11 +0000

L C sed:
>>Are those the only three, by the way? Is it a whole series of +3
steps?

>From earlier bits of the conversation the progression is ummm... [goes
and looks - here we are]:

>>Nearly Impossible = Base +M2

>>Very High = Base +9

>>High = Base +6
>>Moderate = Base
>>Low = Base -6
>>Very Low = Base -M or 6, whichever is lower

What I find interesting is that (ignoring the top line for a moment) the table is quite tightly clustered around the base resistance.

An 'out of the box' game starts the base resistance at 14 IIRC, so subbing that into the table gives you targets of 6, 8, 14, 20 and 3m (plus 14m2 for a 'nearly impossible' contest) against which starting heroes will typically have abilities in the 15-9m range - so a lot of contests are going to be resulting in marginal/minor levels of victory with major/complete levels of victory only really occurring if heroes are going up against the lower resistances in contests that utilise their core competencies (or vice versa - heroes attempting the harder challenges whilst using abilities that they have little or no experience with).

The exception is the 'Nearly Impossible' line, which looks impressively cliff-like - although I will note that a focused starting PC (7m+2 in an ability which is suitable to the nature of the challenge) can pull off some kind of victory against the starting 'nearly impossible' resistance approximately one time in four (rising to 50/50 odds if a HP is deployed). These are mostly marginal or minor victories of course, but a victory is a victory...

Regards
Luke

Please help Logica to respect the environment by not printing this email / Merci d'aider Logica à préserver l'environnement en évitant d'imprimer ce mail / Bitte drucken Sie diese Nachricht nicht aus und helfen Sie so Logica dabei die Umwelt zu schuetzen / Por favor ajude a Logica a respeitar o ambiente não imprimindo este correio electrónico.