RE: Converting the Rules

From: Matthew <matthew.cole_at_...>
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2009 17:39:57 +0100

Do uou mean HQ1, Matthew?

HQ2 would need no conversion, just a genre/setting pack creating. From the HQ2 rulebook: "a genre pack is an information kit for your players, telling them what sort of world they'll be operating in, what they can expect to be doing in it, and what extraordinary abilities, if anything, they can use to accomplish these aims. In many instances, you won't even need a genre pack..."

So, I'd agree: it'd be more helpful to use HQ2, when it's available.

My first question would have to be: are you looking to run a story-based game or a more traditional D&D style system? I recommend the first option, at least because you already have the D&d rules for the second :)

To understand HQ, as designed, you need to understand how story games work. It's not the same as D&D at all. Unfortunately it's not something fitting for a discussion list posting either. Perhaps we can come up with a web reference to start you off on the right track. Robin? :)

I'm given to understand that it's quite easy to 'kitbash' HQ into a traditional-style game system, if that's your preference. Post back here if you want help with that.

Cheers