Re: Converting the Rules

From: ttrotsky2 <TTrotsky_at_...>
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 12:02:01 -0000

Matthew Skipper:

> I couldn't, for example, just use some of the Glorantha HQ magic to
> rep the magic in my setting

Without knowing the details of the magic in your setting that you consider key to the flavour, it's difficult to know how to handle that, but it may be as simple as making each spell its own ability (similar to HQ Common Magic), or providing abilities that cover a range of similar spells (like HQ affinities or perhaps grimoires).

> and HQ doesn't really cover (that I've seen) playing non-humans
> (though I'm sure its probably not that difficult).

Just create keywords for the race in question - with or without numbers, depending on preference. For example, this might be a D&D elf:

Appreciate Beauty 13, Graceful 17, Slender Build 13, Resist Sleep Magic 5W, Resist Enchantment 17, Night Vision 17, Heightened Senses 17

To that, add a Cultural Keyword describing anything specific to that race's culture - copying literally from D&D, that would include the weapon proficiencies and automatic languages.

--
Trotsky
Gamer and Skeptic

Not a Dead Communist: http://jrevell.blogspot.com/