Re: HeroQuest (2nd Ed) will be avaible this June!

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 08:53:16 -0700

Trotsky

>I don't know whether the GM of my group will want to change to HQ2
>or not, but if he does, I'll definitely be wanting to convert my PC,
>rather than create anew.

If you come up with a conversion process, more power to you!

We made no effort to in 2nd edition, and I have been disappointed by the results in years past.

In my experience, HQ2 character sheets end up looking rather different from HQ1 character sheets. Not only far fewer abilities (due to using umbrella keywords), but some players had dumped a lot of HP into affinities (minimum of 3 HP each increase) and Mythology.

Reimagining is plausible, though I tried that once too and again I didn't think the results were entirely satisfactory. (I moved the campaign date up a couple years to help explain any differences.)

LC

>I had started using much more abstract keywords a
>while ago. It meant "anything reasonable that fit that keyword" and
>any specific skills within that you felt like breaking out you did,
>and used the keyword as a legitimate augment.
>
>I have no idea how that will translate to the new rules. (The new
>augmenting rules, from what I understand, might make that not very
>workable.)

Actually, this sounds entirely compatible. If your house rules were already similar to 2nd edition, you'd have a lot less converting to do, and it should have better results.

>I not sure what you mean, Matt, about "re-launching each series"
>(paraphrase). Does that mean HQ2 has abandoned all pretense of
>character advancement over a campaign in any kind of structured way,
>and the idea is ever story arc you should just recreate the characters
>from scratch?

Not at all.

Kevin

>Heh, still playing my original campaign to HeroWars rules here, thank
>you very much. HQ1 broke too many signature aspects of the existing
>characters (to no great benefit to my mind). HQ2 would presumably be
>"worse" in this respect.

Yup, that's exactly what I'm talking about. Even though HQ2 is better than either HW or HQ1 as a set of rules.

Although now that I think about it, one could do a bit of rules-bashing -- just as you could use the HQ1 AP bidding system with HQ2, you could use HQ2's extended contests with HQ1.

--

David Dunham