Re: Runes & personalities

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 09:35:44 -0700

Dougie

>As I understand the example, wouldn't it be in the players interest
>to choose personality runes for their characters that match those of
>the god they want to belong to?

There are no "personality runes." Just runes. The rune itself is a keyword, and part of what's contained in it is personality.

Most Heortling men have the Air rune, and this explains why they're more flighty and emotional than the women. Most Heortling women have the Earth rune -- they're more grounded and rational than the men.

And yes, you obviously do a better job emulating your god if you have matching runes. But I can't think of any time you have to have a 3-for-3 match. You're not going to take a huge hit in game fun if you throw in your own choice.

John

>In a narrative game building a flawed character is like min-maxing in a
>tactical game! You drama min-maxer you!

Nice!

IMO one way to create a flawed character is to have more than one elemental rune. This pretty much guarantees conflicting personality traits right off the bat.

--

David Dunham