Re: Re: Runes & personalities

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 16:41:14 -0400

Ian Borchardt wrote:

> But isn't it a case that if you have a non-standard rune you can still
>do magic, in the very real sense that you can use that rune to augment
>appropriate contests.

That's certainly what I thought, and certainly what I am likely to do.

>It's only in acquiring the whizz-bang big "divine" magics where you
>might suffer a disadvantage. But then, it has always been the case in
>post-Runequest Glorantha that the closer you emulate your divine
>archetype, the more powerful the magic you can wield.

Yes. Well, at least I think it should be for Divine magic (A Feat is What You Are).
I don't think it does (or should) work that way for Animism or Wizardry/Sorcery though.

>Actually I think that we, as players, make too much of a fuss over
>cults and initiation. We separate them and make them something
>special and distinct, rather than integrating them into the fabric of
>the society.

I think that's actually the fault of the rules as written, to be honest. IMG, Initiation into adulthood doesn't give you whiz-bang magic, because it seems silly. Everyone is an adult.
Yes, I know Sartarites are weird and "everyone intiates" but I just can't buy a society where EVERYONE is a powerful magician, just by the nature of becoming an adult. That's me, though, and definitely a MGDV. They all initiate, but there's a very basic level of magic involved.

In the new rules, I suspect the adulthood initiation just gets you a link to the runes you have, but I'm holding off until I see the actual rules.

>Yes, they are important and wonderous moments in the
>life of the character, a recognition of adulthood and adult
>responsibilities and the role the character is expected to play in the
>community, but for all that, membership and acceptance in the society
>is still something that is also quite common and pervasive. Although
>that being said, there are interesting story ideas that happen when
>one cannot gain acceptance (for whatever reason) within the society
>one wants.

Absolutely. Well, for every other culture initiation is a big deal and not just a part of adulthood, so there it is a big deal.

Ian