Re: Runes & personalities

From: David Dunham <david_at_...>
Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 10:04:18 -0700

Trotsky corrects my math

>Removing both a) and b) cuts the options down to 3,080

Which poetically is 10,000 :-)

No, the order doesn't matter, and you can't duplicate a rune. The point is, there are a lot of possible combinations, and not all of them have a matching deity.

>that quote does mean in general, not Heortlings in particular

The HQ rules are not Heortling-specific!

LC

>I thought people weren't limited to three runes.

They're not, but I can't remember if that's actually covered in the brief rules appendix.

HeroQuest states: "Expect to justify unusual combinations to your Narrator, especially if you've picked runes described as incompatible. This is rare in Glorantha, and usually results in terrible internal conflict."

YGWV. I think odd combinations might be easier to justify in certain cultures and time periods. That's not really a rules issue though.

But the rules do present the basis of the conflict. If you have the Fire rune (personality traits Loyal, Honest, Purity) and the Darkness rune (personality traits Cruel, Cold, Secretive), a Narrator who accepts your justification of these incompatible runes is well within her rights to call for your acts of honesty to be opposed by the Darkness rune, and your secretive acts to be opposed by the Fire rune. I haven't had to narrate this myself, but I can easily see that it would result in paralyzing indecision. A difficult character to play even for those who want to play a tortured individual.

--

David Dunham