RE: Magic Abilties (was Re:Prax spirits)

From: Richard Develyn <Richard.Develyn_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 11:47:43 +0100

From: Julian Lord [mailto:julian.lord_at_...]

James Turner :

>> All magic is the same thing in HW anyway (mechanics wise) regardless of
what
>> its called. It's how it's seen in Glorantha that's important.

>Exactly.

Now that's something else that's been bothering me a little bit.

If in character creation I decide I can fire lightning bolts from my finger tips, and you opt for a pea-shooter, and we both give it the maximum 5w, then my lightning bolts are only as powerful as your pea-shooter.

This is just a special case of what I'm trying to get my head around here, which is that the name of an ability wholly specifies its applicability but not (in any way) its potency.

So, getting thunderbolts from Lightning Boy is a bit of a waste of effort unless you either get them at a very high level to start with or you have a particular need to electrocute people rather than just fire arrows at them.

Am I right?

Richard