Re: Runes & personalities

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 14:55:52 -0700 (PDT)

Mark Mohrfield:

> Any chance for a list of the commonly-held runes of various cultures?

Here is my supposition on Praxians (who, note, are animists, not theists):

Men are frequently Air (but the elemental runes are not as important in Prax as among Heortlings or Dara Happans) plus two of: Death (especially if they follow Waha)
Eternal Battle (especially if they follow Storm Bull) Spirit (especially if they follow Horned Man) Man (especially if they follow Daka Fal) Beast
Herding (especially if they are herder)
Hunting (especially if they are hunters or follow Foundchild)

Women are frequently Earth (see note above) plus two of: Fertility (esp. Eiritha)
Spirit (especially if they follow Horned Man) Man (especially if they follow Daka Fal or Helpwoman) Beast (especially if they are herders)
Gathering* (especially if they follow Helpwoman)

I must say I find the idea that form runes grant no powers to be problematic. Daka Fal has the man rune, symbolizing the fact that he was the first man to die AND to show that he grants you access to your ancestors' spirits. Horned Man has the spirit rune, symbolizing the fact that he rules the spirit plane AND to show that he grants you powers to control spirits. Etc. Surely, those would be worth an augment? Maybe you don't call it a power, since it's not a power rune, but call it something else -- a sympatheic vibration or common identity that makes the relevant spirits friendlier, or the relevant essence more familiar, or whatever.

Chris Lemens