Re: Re: Runes & personalities

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 15:32:13 +1000

2009/5/19 David Dunham <david_at_...>:
> Elemental runes are described as incompatible with each other. But
> there will always be some player who decides he's going to play
> Pottery Boy, with Fire and Earth runes. Maybe he can convince the GM
> that he will use this illegal combination only for good (making
> pottery) and not evil (driving himself crazy).

Pottery Boy, the failed Trickster! :)

Thanks for the heads-up David, I still think I am going to see some people trying to pull of weird combinations of Elements with the Moon in my game - although the Moon is a weird Rune anyway as far as I understand it.

> Part of the problem is that internal struggle is difficult to pull
> off in a typical RPG session. Normally, we talk to each other. But
> the runic conflict is pretty much internalized. It would probably be
> a lot easier to do in a play-by-writing game, and more appropriate in
> a solo. Of course the rules want to support these styles as well as
> sitting around a table. But even then, it's a tricky situation. So
> the default is that you can't play certain combinations. (Note to
> Trotsky: not accounted for in boxed text.)

I'm okay with the odd bit of "giving voice to internal turmoil" as long as everyone refrains from wearing nonthing but black and reciting intolerably gloomy poetry! :)

--
John Machin