Re: Animists [was Re: Man Rune]

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 12:34:42 -0400

Chris Lemens wrote:

>I suspect that they do, but that one of the things that joining a
theist religion does is broaden how useful those personal runes are. I think of it as your initiation ceremony expanding your mind.

That's a good way to look at it. But yes, people who are not specialized theist initiates should also be able to use the runes, just in a different way. Hopefully, when we see how the magic systems are described, we will get a more solid sense of how everything interlocks.

>In creating a Bullman, you decide to take the Air, Eternal Battle, and
Death runes. (Yeah, he's a PC all right.) They influence your Bullman's personality.

*nod*

>You could also take one narrow augment for each. You'd have to give it
a name, not just "Eternal Battle affinity" -- which is what you'd get is you went theist. Instead, it would need to be something like >"Sniff out the broos." And you could only use it as an augment, not an active ability. And since it's so narrow, I doubt you'd ever spend an HP improving it, so you will gradually cease using it.

I don't understand the logic here at all. Why would this be an augment-only ability spun off the rune? This seems needlessly complex.

>> As I've understood things, a typical Praxian will practise spirit
magic to some greater or lesser extent.
>> They will know the rules of a particular spirit tradition and they
will collect spirits associated with that
>> tradition and these will tend to be spirits linked to particular
rune(s) associated with that tradition.

 I've been under the impression that in most societies except for the Sartarites, most people don't become active magicians. i.e. - a typical Praxian gets charms from his practitioners, but doesn't become one himself outside of some basic common magic. Just as most theists don't initiate and most Westerners don't become orderlies or sorcerers.

But, assuming a practitioner, cool.

>I agree. So, your Bullman would join the Praxian tradition. When he
did, he could get spirits from the tradition. He'd probably (but not necessarily) select spirits that reflect his personality and his Great Spirit.

If available. I assume spirits in a tradition are fairly broad, so while he might select those for a small bonus, he also gets the variety of having other spirits.

> So, I'd expect charms that focus on combat. But joining the tradition
wouldn't necessarily get him Storm Bull spirits. (He could get some by way of a relationship to a shaman or a Bullman leader,
>of course.) When he does the equivalent of joining the spirit cult of
Storm Bull, then he gets access to Storm Bull spirits.
>Pretty quickly, the improvements to his specific animist powers make
his personal runes irrelevant to game-play.

Although they would still be there for an augment should he want it. And as personality issues.

LC