Re: Carmanian Runes

From: Kevin McDonald <kpmcdona_at_...>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 16:46:26 -0400

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:18 AM, Peter Metcalfe <metcalph_at_...> wrote:

> Strictly speaking the Viziers can't do much about Darkness as
> their magics are considered black arts - it's the Magi who work
> the magics of light.

Humm... I know that sorcery fell into disfavor for a while after the Blue Wizard competition, but I am pretty sure that Malakinus sorcery isn't considered a black art. After all, one of their grimoires is The Book of White Sorcery.

> Secondly I'm not convinced that the Carmanians have the
> capacity to eradicate the spiritual darkness that resides within
> a large proportion of the population. They can readily detect
> it but are more concerned with the active practice of darkness
> and the lie rather than the mere disposition towards it.

I tend to agree here from two perspectives - practicality, and the fact that I see the Carmanian religion as being mostly concerned with a person's actions.

> Rather than simply have the Carmanians as Black and White,
> it would be more interesting to have them as having either
> Truth/Illusion, Light/Darkness or Law/Chaos.

This is a very interesting point, although I find myself wondering if they tend to conflate all three dualities as one. Idovanus = Truth/Light/Cosmos; Ganestoro = Illusion/Darkness/Chaos

> Which makes
> the worship of Humakt as associated with both darkness
> and truth to be particularly troublesome theologically speaking.

Agreed, if the carmanian Humakt is associated with darkness. Troublesome theology = MGF in my opinion, so maybe he should. :)

-Kevin McD

PS: How do the lists work again? This is a HeroQuest rules based Glorantha specific discussion. Is HQ-RPG a better location? The topic tends to wobble back and forth between the setting and the HQ2 rules...