Re: Carmanian Runes

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 22:16:32 -0400

Benedict Adamson wrote:

>In Carmania, caste is not entirely hereditary. A Romanak could become a
>Vizier if they "show the right talents" (ILH-1 page 42. I think that
>must at least in part mean having the right runes.

I think that depends a great deal on how the presence of runes impacts becoming a Vizier. (I'd have to go dig up ILH1 to remember how the whole Carmanian thing stacks together.)

>Considering the long
>training required of a Vizier, I'd suggest this selection would occur in
>childhood. So it seems runes are detectable in children.

But also this thing is kind of rare, right? So again, not impossible, but not the norm. Also, I imagine which runes you are gradually manifest over time. As you get older, they become more obvious. (Again, assuming runes is of core importance to all Gloranthan peoples and not just a theist thing.) So some exceptional people are obviously linked to/chosen by runes early. Most people aren't quite so clear.

For instance, all heortlings (Orlanthi all) are taught as boys that they should be air rune people and so they probably start manifesting evidence of this fairly early, but can be diverted based on inclination and life experience.

So really, I don't think we're disagreeing, it's more an emphasis thing.

LC