Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: Chris Lemens <chrislemens_at_...>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2009 06:58:03 -0700 (PDT)

Benedict asks:

> At various times, various people have claimed that HQ is easy for
> newbies, and others have claimed it is difficult for newbies. So what is
> it? Does anyone have any good evidence either way?

At Tentacles, Ian Cooper narrated a game in which a 13-year old young lady played. She had a lot of fun and no trouble with the rules. If anything, she played better than we grognards who were still thinking in mechanically bounded possibilities. Since she hadn't read the rules, all she needed was for someont to tell her what number to beat when she rolled.

We had another player who was a newbie to both Glorantha and HW. She wanted to understand the rules, so struggled until she caught on. (Though, I think that was also due to the noise level in the room, since she was at the far end of the table from soft-spoken Ian.) At the end of the session, she was the one whose mighty meteor shower feat killed the enemy.

So, I concur with Benedict's answer to his own question.

Chris Lemens