Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: continuum2008 <Continuum2008_at_...>
Date: Thu, 04 Jun 2009 20:57:36 -0000

Benedict Adamson wrote:
> At various times, various people have claimed that HQ is easy for
> newbies, and others have claimed it is difficult for newbies. So what is
> it? Does anyone have any good evidence either way?

I have put many players through many different types of HeroQuest games at different RPG conventions and game meets in the UK. Probably about 400 or so since 2003 since I started play testing HeroQuest: Roleplaying in Glorantha.

In my experience the players that have taken to the games quickly have been the players with little or no experience in playing RPGs. Especially players that may have never taken up the hobby or are often young.

They are able to play their characters without having to think through initiative, strike ranks, movements rates, game turns, hit points, etc. They are free to act how they feel they should from taking cues from the character and/or the story.
They do not have the hang ups that many experienced players have.

As for newbie GMs I would say that any player reading the HeroQuest Core Rules would be in a very excellent position to be a very well informed GM. The book drips with advice and tips to running the game system and running RPGs in general.

I would just love to see a first time GM run a game with HeroQuest!

Darran