Re:Advancement - (was [Is HQ2 Difficult?])

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 20:35:38 -0400

****Chris Lemens wrote:

>Genre packs are important to HQ.

And I hope to see lots of these.

>Looking to rules to answer what the world should be like seems
backwards to me.

Except that is the way it works implicitly, if not explicitly, in many games.

For instance, the HQ1 magic system contained lots of implications about how magic in Glorantha works, so it is very common. (I expect the new system will also have this, although obviously that's a Gloranthan expansion issue and not an HQ2 issue.)

>The HeroQuest Core Rules support a characters at any level. If you
want your characters to have world-spanning powers, they can.

Yes, which always makes rules for character advancement tricky.

>If you want them to be scratching a bare living and struggling just to
survive, they can. From a rules perspective, moving around within this continuum is seamless.

Cool. Looking forward to it.

>Just because your characters' abilities improve does not mean you have
to change your characters' social context.

Sure. The question is how the new rules handle the abilities improving.

>The answer is not "leveling up."

Well, obviously, since there aren't levels in the system.

****Jeff Richard wrote:

>Darned right it does! The campaign pack for "Sartar: Kingdom of
Heroes" takes your characters from character creation and makes them movers and shakers by the end of the book.

Sounds cool as an illustration of how it works in practice.

*****Adam Mertes wrote:

>So they're will be ways to increase skills( or whatever they are
called in Heroquest)?

There always was. Of course, the more fluid nature of what those abilities in mean in the world has always made it a little difficult to adjudicate.
The new, clearer, rules should make this much easier.

>Will there be a cap on skills?

I would be stunned if there is.