RE: Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: DreadDomain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 14:07:20 -0400

-----Message d'origine-----
>De : De la part de markmohrfield

>Even so, just calculating out the derived stats (hit points, fatigue
points,etc.) for someting like >GURPS or BRP is going to take quit a bit longer than just setting a resistance level in HQ2.

>Mark Mohrfield

Yes but...

Remember, my point wasn't "it doesn't take longer to stat NPC in GURPS than in HeroQuest". My point, in answer to David was "even if statting NPC in HQ was much faster than say in GURPS, it would not really impact on my prep time since 99% of my prep time is story and background oriented."

>Gotta say I have a hard time believing that statting out a GURPS character
is trivial assuming >you are really using all the rules.

>Mark Mohrfield

Kyle and Trotsky already answered by the affirmative but I will join my voice to theirs and say "Yes, stating out a GURPS NPC is trivial". Where HQ is waaayyy much faster is in player character creation though. My players have very complete and involved character sheets and this is how they like it.

In conclusion, this isn't about "is GURPS better/worse/faster/slower than HQ"? It is only about David's quote :
"HeroQuest is exceptionally easy to run. (Just as one example, ALL of a GM's preparation time focuses on story, not statistics)".

My reaction to this is "it isn't a selling point for me (and yes, I will buy HQ 2) because as a GM, in GURPS, my preparation already focuses on story. Building NPC in GURPS is trivial and even if in HQ it is 10 times faster or easier, well trivial divided by 10 is still trivial. For me, HQ's strengths must lie elsewhere."

This is my personal experience of course and it should not be taken as anything more.

Cheers!

DD