RE: Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

From: DreadDomain <dreaddomain_at_...>
Date: Sat, 6 Jun 2009 16:05:19 -0400

-----Message d'origine-----
De : HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com
[mailto:HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com] De la part de markmohrfield Envoyé : 6 juin 2009 14:30
À : HeroQuest-rules_at_yahoogroups.com
Objet : [HeroQuest-rules] Re: Is HQ2 Difficult?

>I'm beginning to think that we have different definitions of "using all the
>rules."

>If you are using some shorthand method of creating the NPCs, that doesn't
>meet my own definition for that (which is NOT the same as saying "you're
>doing it wrong!").

Obviously, if for you "using all the rules" means creating every NPC as a PC, than no, we do not have the same definition. I prefer to create NPC as suggested in the Gamemastering section (see page 493 of the Basic Set under "Playing the NPCs" if you have the book). I will very rarely consider a NPC important enough to merit a whole character sheet and even more rarely will I even bother looking at point value (I am not sure I ever did in fact).

>I'll maintain that HQ2 does knock off a significant amount of time from
>game prep-it may be 10% rather than %50-but that's still significant in my
>book.

>Mark Mohrfield

I trust that it does that for you but I doubt it will for me. When I think about a NPC important enough to mean something within the story, I will think about how he dresses, how he acts, what weapons he uses, what armour he wears, in what skills he is good, what is his general appearance and the like. For me, this work is the bulk of NPC creation and I do it mo matter what game system I use. Statting the info with the rules is the fast and easy part IMHO. I said earlier my prep time is about 99% on story and background but I'll be more generous this time and say about 50% for the story, 25% defining NPCs (no stat), 20% on background research and 5% on actual rules (statting NPCs, looking up stuff like travel time and economics). At most, HQ2 will cut this whole 5% which for me isn't significant.