Re: Gloranthan magic

From: John Machin <trithemius_at_...>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 2009 13:35:43 +1000

Another issue completely, but the subject seemed appropriate all the same...

I am wondering about who makes new grimoires?

The magus (11w in a grimoire) is able to infer new magic in existing grimoires and to usefully study grimoires that are outside of their own school or order but it is not clear to me that they are able to assemble new grimoires.

Has this capability been placed, deliberately, beyond the reach of most magi? I can appreciate the the creation of a new grimoire might be more of the focus of a story than an action that occurs within the story but I am curious about whether creation of a grimoire should be in the "work of a lifetime" or "serious commitment" category.

--
John Machin