Re: chargen questions about mixed & common magic

From: pavyr <nick.the.nevermet_at_...>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 15:58:22 -0000

In retrospect, maybe I'm making things harder than they need to be. Instead of getting 3 charms/spells, a non-theist could get 1 affinity. Let's say I want to make a Grazer PC. When a Sartarite is choosing 3 charms/spells/talents, a Grazer would get to choose an affinity to fire or beasts(horses) or maybe something else.

Thats the chargen mechanics side of things, as for how that makes sense cosmologically, this would mean everyone has (potential?) affinities. Some cultures could ignore this, some (those with theist religions) will refine it according to specific divinities, and the rest will note it but leave it unrefined. Just as I could imagine a Grazer with a fire affinity, I could imagine a sorcerer with an affinity related to their school.

Non-theists who dabble in theistic magic would therefore end up 'stuck' at the unrefined stage of an affinity. As individuals increase their non-theistic magical prowess, however, they come to see relying on their personal affinities as almost a 'crutch', and they stop doing it. Relying on 'who you are' gets in the way of pure thought (sorcery/wizardry), or relating to spirits.

The way I'm thinking about things now, acting like a god is something only devotees do (and to a lesser extent initiates). If you aren't initiated, then you just have what you are: an unrefined affinity.