Re: Contest Questions

From: Alexander Entelechy <alexanderentelechy_at_...>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 2009 17:11:38 -0700 (PDT)

I think you have to consider whether rolling the dice is actually appropriate when you zoom in. In the example given we have this going on:

Adam: I want to rob you

Bruno: I’m prepared to kill you

Adam: Screw that, I run away.

Now it’s not immediately obvious that this should call for a roll. Look for conflicting interests, is Bruno really going to kill this robber who is now trying to flee?

If the answer is yes then you have to break the rules because technically a death can only occur on a complete victory, this is kind of lame for games where death is more common and I’d do the opposite. If Bruno wants to get Adam and he wins by even a marginal victory, then Adam is dead.

The one difficulty with this is that Adam might be kind of annoyed because technically he would get a roll first to see if the mugging succeeded. The whole area of escalation is one that Hero Quest doesn’t do well. If you wanted to be strict about it, HQ escalates by using consecutive dice rolls, so the actual sequence would be this.

Adam: I want to Rob Bruno (Now Adam knows Bruno has a sword so he’s trying to intimidate him into not drawing it right, so the first contest is that)

If Adam wins then Bruno is intimidated into not drawing (he can still otherwise struggle if the situation changes, all we have established so far is that he doesn’t draw)

If Adam looses then Bruno draws his sword and now maybe Adam wants to get away and Bruno has to decide whether he wants to prevent this and kill him.