Re: Re: Contest Questions

From: Alexander Entelechy <alexanderentelechy_at_...>
Date: Thu, 1 Oct 2009 15:46:37 -0700 (PDT)

Hey LC

With the mugging I’d roll to intimidate because the original poster wanted a very zoomed in conflict. In my usual group we’d probably go straight to the conflict mechanics the minute the mugging was announced. Mike brought up the whole ‘mess with coolness’ thing, which is really a different argument than the one about zoom.

My preference is that a defeated character gets to pick the way they are defeated. Problem is that the traits used can work against it. I’ll give an example.

Lets say Adam has the trait ‘mugging’

Adam: Awesome I win my mugging roll.

Bruno: Well my characters a coward I probably hand you the money shaking in my boots and sobbing and pleading with you not to kill me.

Adam: Awesome I win the mugging roll.

Bruno: Well my characters a seasoned vet with his wits about him, he weights up all the options and realises he can’t go for his sword without you stabbing him first. ‘Better watch your back’ he growls as he chucks over his purse.

All fine and good. If Adam is trying to use the trait Intimidate then it’s all a different story and how you deal with that depends on your groups preferences.

On the whole marginal success to kill someone thing, yeah I’m totally ok with that. I just assume that everyone in the group is also ok as well, if they’re not then presumably Bruno wouldn’t be selecting the prize ‘I kill him’.