Re: Contest Questions

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 19:52:35 -0400

Ashley Munday wrote:

>Hi folks,

Hi Doctor Ash! ^__^

>Nothing like coming to the party a couple of days late, however being
an egomaniac I thought I'd throw my thoughts in.

Well... it's good to own your issues, I guess. ^_^

>The contest Nikodemus is trying to capture looks like Adam trying to
mug Bruno and Bruno trying to drive him off with extreme predjudice.

*nod* - However, he seems to be specifically asking if each micro-stage of that makes a legitimate contest.

>It'll work either way - as a simple or extended contest - and the
consequences are going to be largely the same in both cases.

Agreed.

>I'd be tempted to make it an extended contest as contests between
player controlled characters tend to be pivotal moments in the game.

Also agreed. Of course, I can also think of all kinds of exceptions to that. However, one where death is on the line (especially the idea that it is a lethal game where death is on the line for a marginal victory) strikes me as an extended for PC v PC because we ARE talking heavy stakes there.

>So to answer Question 1...
>
>It is a contest. Both sides have something to loose or gain - Adam
gains wealth/takes a severe dent and Bruno gains confidence/looses wealth. The bit about running away is only relevant if you're doing an
>extended contest and Adam tries to disengage or if you're doing a
follow up contest - Bruno wins and decides that he's going to hunt down Adam for the temerity of having a go at him.

Hmmm... I'm not sure you're answering the question. There is no wealth on the line. The question is "I cut your head off" vs "I jump back and avoid the cut". That's what he is asking if it is a legitimate contest. (Unless I have completely misunderstood.) There is no mugging contest.

>Question 3...
>
>Contest should always end up with consequences and benefits. The
results of a contest are one way players get to modify their characters in the short time, let 'em.

>Or to put it another way - if a contest doesn't appear to provide
interesting consequences bin it and find another.

Really? That's an interesting view. Just to clarify, you would apply the numerical bonuses and penalties to every contest?

>Question 4...
>
>Use extended contests, they handle escalation really well, simple
contests don't. If you're a point away from defeat in a simple contest you can always change ability and tactics to get what you want - at the
>risk of upping the ante somewhat. Drawing a sword or summoning Quark
the Undying Cheese in a debating chamber makes everything suddenly a bit more tense.

Please say more?
I actually find this part the hardest to adjudicate in both HQ1 and HQ2. The mechanics involved are never clear to me for upping the ante/drastically changing the contest part way through. I mean sure, throw the former contest out for something like the debate (probably). But how about the "friendly sparring contest" that then turns into a real fight? The "I now turn into a werewolf, rules change" moment?

 From a dramatic point of view this seems more significant than just using a new ability for the roll.

LC