Re: Contest Questions

From: L C <lightcastle_at_...>
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 20:20:29 -0400

Mike Holmes wrote:

>>"Use extended contests, they handle escalation really well, simple
contests don't.
>>If you're a point away from defeat in an EXTENDED contest you can
always change ability and tactics to get what you want
>> - at the risk of upping the ante somewhat."

>That's an excellent point, and one I never considered. Yeah, simple
contests (it should be obvious), allow for only one shot at establishing intent and stakes, etc. But the extended contest rules have explicit
>features that allow you to modify your intent, mid contest.

Actually, as I've mentioned before even back with HQ1, this always gives me trouble and how to do it smoothly has been something I've never grasped, in either version of the game.
In fact, the extended contest "point-tracking" method seems to get in the way of doing this for me, since I never know how to carry the points over to the new contest.
HQ2, with the disengagement rules and the ability to assign consequences from number of points accrued during an extended contest may have fixed this for me, I suspect I will find out the first time I actually hit this situation.

LC