Re: Re: Contest Questions

From: Ashley Munday <aescleal_at_...>
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 17:47:34 +0000 (GMT)

"I maintain that this is strictly a question of play style. We can act out the social situation to a reasonable degree of fidelity, so there is less need for abstraction and mechanics. Freely acting out the social conflicts is one of THE things we want out of the game."

As you say it could be a difference in playstyle, it just seems a bit shallow to me, a waste of a decent game system. With Heroquest you can mechanically represent dramatically apt social conflicts and, more importantly, the results. All those opportunities for accumulating nice consequences of victory going unused, it's making me tearful.

Go on, be a narrativist power gamer, even D&D has decent rules for social conflicts these days. Admittedly Gary Gygax is probably spinning so fast in his grave he's half way to the Earth's core by now.

The serious point here is that constraints on what players do with their characters socially aren't necessarily restrictions, they're more ways of focussing the options available. So I can play way smarter and more eloquent character than I am in real life and not have to try to be Oscar Wilde [mainly 'cause I end up sounding like a second rate Noel Coward]. If I win a round of a conflict and can't think of a witty thing to say I can ask other people around the table for help and they'll chuck their ideas in to help my character fit my concept better. And that's the cool thing for me, other people exploring characters I'm playing and making them stronger for it.

Cheers,

Ash