Re: Re: Keyword query (Kallai)

From: Roderick and Ellen Robertson <rjremr_at_...>
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:27:49 -0700

> Thanks, what would the default ranged weapon value be? I think I would
> allow improvised rolls from other abilities (e.g., close combat spear -10
> for thrown spear, or warrior keyword -5). Anyone got a more sensible
> suggestion?

Depends on the culture - a grazer woman might have a "default" Ranged Combat of 10, while a culture that didn't use ranged combat at all might have a mere 6. Hoplites using 2-handed spears/pikes should have a 6 to reflect the fact that they are not trained to throw/shoot a weapon. Ditto for the Black Horse Troop. Depending on your view of Heortling culture and their use of javelins/thrown axes you might allow a improv mod from Close combat or restrict them to a lower number.

Remember that it only takes one Hero Point to bring Ranged Combat up to 12 if you have no skill in it, or it's free if you include it in your character creation, so even if you don't get it from a keyword, you can still get it easily enough (one throw of the spear and you can claim "in-game" usage, to get particularly rules-lawerly).

RR